Posted by: Brett
It’s been 9 months since Android 4.0 was announced by Google and it’s taken Samsung and Sprint exactly 40 builds to get it right, but it’s finally rolling out to Sprint’s Galaxy SII, Epic 4G Touch owners. The official OTA rollout started yesterday and is build FF18 which was leaked to xda-developers (as the other 39 builds were) last month. The build is FF18 because it was created on June 18th. The update brings much awaited features such as Face Unlock, a refreshed interface (but no new TouchWiz like the SIII), a redesigned camera, the Roboto font, and more.
Sprint says the update is currently rolling out and should be complete by next month.
Source: Sprint Community Forums
Samsung Galaxy S II, Epic 4G Touch Gets Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, Update Starting Today
Samsung Galaxy S™ II, Epic™ 4G Touch will receive the Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich, update through an over-the-air maintenance release starting today. The over-the-air update will begin rolling out to users today, and all users should receive the update in the next month.
When your Epic 4G Touch is eligible for the update, it will automatically download. Once the download is complete, you will be prompted to install the update. Installation will take a few minutes, and your device will be disabled during the installation process. It will be ready to use when the process is complete.
Android 4.0 adds numerous enhancements and new features, including:
- A refined, evolved user interface that is simple, beautiful and useful
- Face Unlock: use state-of-the-art facial recognition technology to unlock your phone with a smile
- Redesigned camera which introduces panorama mode, effects like silly faces and background replacement, and a powerful photo editor
- Web browser now lets you sync Google Chrome™ bookmarks, request full desktop versions of sites, see your open tabs in a new layout and even store web pages for offline reading
- People: browse friends, family and coworkers, see their photos in high-resolution and check their latest status updates from Google+
- Improved keyboard with incredibly accurate typing, an inline spell checker and improved copy and paste support
- New Calendar app that lets you add events quickly, sync with Google Calendar™ or Microsoft Exchange and even pinch to adjust your calendar display
- Redesigned Gmail™ app that now lets you swipe between conversations to catch up quickly, and search for emails even without a data connection
- Google+ integration that lets you hangout and video chat with up to 10 friends using your front-facing camera
If you have questions about the update, please visit Sprint Community, where we can provide answers.
Beginning July 15 and for a limited time only, Sprint is offering a “Buy One, Get One Free” deal on Epic 4G Touch. Epic 4G Touch is currently available in all Sprint retail channels including Web (www.sprint.com) and Telesales (1-800-SPRINT1) for $149.99 (excluding taxes) after a $50 MIR via reward card1 with a new two-year service agreement or eligible upgrade.
Discussion Forum – http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/444608#444608